Greetings, My AP Babies!
This week’s discussion focuses on the journey towards self-discovery as we look inward and consider the construction of our own identity. Specifically, recall Cristina’s experiences in Spanglish and consider how those experiences differ from or resemble your own.
Select and Respond to at Least 3 of the Following Discussion Questions– (source: www.tolerance.org)
- Describe Cristina’s childhood experience of cultural boundaries. How did she respond to these boundaries? How would she respond differently now? What might have happened to cause her to write about these experiences?
- Have you ever been made fun of because of a cultural trait, such as your home language or traditional clothing or food? Describe the experience.
- Have you ever made fun of someone — or witnessed others doing so — because of a cultural trait? Describe the experience.
- What situations can you think of that force or encourage people to give up parts of their identity? Explain.
- How would you rate the overall effectiveness of Cristina’s college application essay? What did you like about it? What parts (if any) should she have left out? Be Specific.
- How has witnessing Cristina’s experience made you feel about your own college preparation experience? Explain.