In Session: Sentiments from Silveri's Class

Engaging in Critical Conversations that Matter Most

“With All Deliberate Speed”

“Freeing yourself was one thing, claiming ownership of that freed self was another.”  Toni Morrison, Beloved

Greetings, All of My Beloved AP Babies!

This week’s discussion is a joint venture and will provide space for an open dialogue between both AP Lit and AP Lang students.

As we continue our look at director Peter Gilbert‘s “With All Deliberate Speed:  A Look at the Landmark Brown vs. the Board of Education,” the question of equal opportunity for public education regardless of race, income, or geography remains as we close the year 2011.

This blog post will require additional research on educational disparities but will also require some additional reading of Carter G. Woodson’s The Miseducation of the Negro as a historical perspective on educational inequality.  The entire text is available free, online  via Google Books and has been provided below for your convenience.  Please encourage your parents to read it with you and post their comments below.

Here are your tasks:

1. Read Carter G. Woodson’s The Miseducation of the Negro, in its entirety.
  2. Conduct your own outside research on educational disparities in America.  I will help you get started, but please do not limit your research to the support links provided below.
  3. Respond to the following discussion questions:
  • The Brown decision called for school desegregation to happen with “all deliberate speed.” How quickly — and how fully — do you think schools have been de-segregated? (Source:  Teaching Tolerance–A Project of the Southern Poverty Law Center)
  • Who is Dr. Carter G. Woodson, and what–in your opinion–is the ultimate message of his text?  Who does his message speak to?  Is it only for African Americans or could his message extend to all ethnic, gender, and socio-economic classes? 
  • Do you believe Woodson’s message is still relevant today? If so, provide a rationale for your response and examples of how we see it in operation today.  If not, please tell us why and provide a rationale for your response.  
  • Finally, determine and relate what your response(s) will be to these issues. 
Research Support:

Because extensive reading and research is involved, your initial response to this post will not be due until Wednesday, January 4, 2012 (after returning from Christmas Break).  You are not required to submit comments on your classmates’ posts; however, I am absolutely positive you will anyway…

In closing, please ponder these words of wisdom from Dr. Carter G. Woodson:

“If you can control a man’s thinking, you don’t have to worry about his actions. If you can determine what a man thinks you do not have worry about what he will do. If you can make a man believe that he is inferior, you don’t have to compel him to seek an inferior status, he will do so without being told and if you can make a man believe that he is justly an outcast, you don’t have to order him to the back door, he will go to the back door on his own and if there is no back door, the very nature of the man will demand that you build one.”

Happy Blogging!

I love you, :)

Mrs. S

101 Comments

101 Comments so far ↓

• Jasmine Evans

1.)In my opinion the schools have not been desegregated quickly or fully, the white people feel like they will get to it when they feel like it, which to me will be never, unless we do something about it. The white people want to keep the African Americans “beneath them”. I believe that African Americans have gotten comfortable with this situation, they don’t want to take control.
    2.) Dr. Woodson is as black man who believed in change and the knowledge of his people. In my opinion his message a black Negro will go to the farthest lengths to learn to be free and smarter than the white man. This message speaks significantly to the black people because he’s letting us knw we don’t have to stand for this and we can do something!
    3.)
    3.)I still believe that Woodson’s message is still relevant today, I believe we still have a long way to go. Most African Americans don’t education seriously anymore since they don’t have to fight for it. Most African-Americans are still not trying to get an education because they rather work for the rest of their lives at simple jobs that give them just enough to get by. I believe the teachers and depending on the condition of their school is what makes African Americans give up on their education.
    4.)worked to get it,which is what i think Dr.Woodson is saying.

4.) With me knowing what i know makes me want to work harder than i ever have. By me knowing what the system expects from me encourages me to do better and to prove them wrong. Victor Hugo once said that He who opens a school door closes a prison. When he said that, he meant that if you take advantage of what life has to offer you, then you dont have to worry about idle hands. So now I have to do what i can to prove the odds against me to be a liar.

• shayla

1. Well, I believe that deliberate means intentional. I guess in some way that could equal quickly or with a specific time in mind, but I do not believe that this was the case in the desegregation of public schools in America. Desegragation of the public schools was very slow for many reasons. The main reason is that they were not given an actual time frame to do so. So, of course they made it a slow, long, drawn out process. I do believe that at some point schools were fully segregated but it’s come to the point where whole counties/cities are segreagted which as a result segregates the schools as well.

2. Okay, I see the Doctor guy as a very very brave individual. The reason I say this is because I feel like in order to chastise your own kin/race you have to be very brave. He was well aware of the back lash he might recieve for saying some of the things he said. I belive that the ultimate message of his text is that black people have in a way lost their drive and just fallen into an “everyday routine” . I belive his text mostly pertains to people of color, but that’s just my opinion. I think this because I can honestly see everything he speaks of in our society today…especially the section about serving instead of leading. We as black people are to satisfied with obtaining a job when we should be aiming for a much higher position.

3. I do belive Woodsons message is very relevant to today. As I stated in my previous question. I see basically everything he speaks of in society today. I will speak about the ” Loss of Vision” To often I come across a high school senior without any goals or dreams for the future. I’m not sure if this is because of the media, their household, or if it is just something instilled in us. I am kind of leaning towards the latter option though. I have to attribute my “vision” and my will to dream to my mother. I think without her I would be just as lost as the person I speak of. I beleive that after years of being beaten down on top of what the media shows us that we will be our lack of vision is in a way built into us.

4. My response to these problems is just to gain as much knowledge as possible. When I say knowledge I don’t mean just class room education. I mean like really enlightened. I want to be able to speak on every subject more than efficiently. I want to be a genius. I want to be so well read that I can hold a conversation with God.

• De'Asian Walker

Bullet 1*
    The Brown vs. the Board of Education case’s decision was to desegregate schools. The schools desegregated slowly, they had riots and threatened to shut down the schools. This was unfair to African Americans. Segregation still exists today in my opinion. Although blacks and whites are allowed to attend schools together, they are treated differently.
    Bullet 2
    Dr. Carter G. Woods was known as the Father of Black History. He was the son was former slaves but he took education seriously. He got his diploma, bachelor’s, master’s and PhD. Dr. Carter was the founder of the Study of Negro Life and History, which is known as Study of African American Life and History. Dr. Carter’s message was to try to get young people to understand the importance of education and to proud of the heritage we come from. Originally, the message was for African Americans but I believe his message can be for any gender, race, or age.
    Bullet 3*
    I do believe Woodson’s message is still relevant. His message is to get the point of education being important across. I think our generation needs to hear how important education is. We have an ignorant generation; I think if we had someone like Dr. Carter to guide us, we would have a better understanding of education and how it could make us succeed in life.
    Bullet 4*
    As a young African American Teen, people are going to view me as an ignorant, uneducated, and unemployed individual. Many may even look down upon me. As an African American teen I have to prove everyone, who views me as they view the black society wrong. I have to prove that there are black children who take education seriously, who can be employed and become stabled.

• Kacey McFly Jones

Question 1 : “The Brown decision called for school desegregation to happen with “all deliberate speed.” How quickly — and how fully — do you think schools have been de-segregated? (Source: Teaching Tolerance–A Project of the Southern Poverty Law Center)”

-I think schools have been desegregated in the exact opposite way that they were said to be : with all undeliberate speed. It seems that schools were desegregated almost as slowly as possible without causing too much of an uproar,and really it hasn’t been fully desegregated to this day. The schools are desegregated as far as having both races inside of them, but better education and materials are still seemed to be provided to the schools that have predominately white or students of the upper class in them.

Question 2: “Who is Dr. Carter G. Woodson, and what–in your opinion–is the ultimate message of his text? Who does his message speak to? Is it only for African Americans or could his message extend to all ethnic, gender, and socio-economic classes? ”

-Dr. Carter G. Woodson , the author of “The Mis-Education of the Negro”, is cited as the father of black history. His message is that we not only as African Americans,but as people in general must step up and take initiative in receiving our education,because it isn’t being given to us the way that it really should be. He shows the faults of the education system, and tries to show how we can make a difference and fight against these faults. The text is mainly focused on African Americans, but the message behind it really does go for people of any and every race,gender,class,or age who haven’t been truly given a proper education through school and has had to suffer from it.

Question 3: “Do you believe Woodson’s message is still relevant today? If so, provide a rationale for your response and examples of how we see it in operation today. If not, please tell us why and provide a rationale for your response. ”

-I believe that his message is still very relevant today. People in this day and age are still being mis-educated,and are still suffering from poor conditions regarding their education. When we watched the film “With All Deliberate Speed” in class I saw schools that were still in very bad shape. For these students it almost looked like nothing had changed over all of these years. Not only that, but even in my school itself I feel like we haven’t been properly taught a lot of things, especially those things pertaining to the African-American race and history. (That is,until I became a student of Mrs. Silveri’s)

Question 4: “Finally, determine and relate what your response(s) will be to these issues. ”

-In response to the issues presented to me after my readings of “The Mis-Education of the Negro”, I plan to continue to take my education seriously and to strive even harder to seek out new and “hidden” information about various aspects of the world. Im willing to take steps towards fighting the wrong doings of the current educational system not only on my own, but with and for my community as a whole as well.

• Carlean L. McWright

1. The Brown vs. Education decision did not occur as fast as we would have expected. When the phrase “With all deliberate speed” is mentioned you believe it will end instantly. However it seemed like years before any desegregating was made. They may have made the statement fast, but the actions were slow. Still to this day I believe schools are not de-segregated. I believe we are de-segregated by color (in about 68% of schools). On the other hand schools are segregated by the several other factors to make us believe we are equal and achieved so much when it comes to desegregating. When in actuality we are and probably will always be segregated!

2. Other than the author of “The Mis-educated Negro”, Dr. Carter G. Woodson is the Father of Black History. I actually understand why they named him that. He was bold in his novel. He mentioned or stated many things African Americans or others would be afraid to mention. He spoke about Blacks or in his words “Negro’s” in a way that many people would not have thought of. I actually found myself thinking about several school subjects, especially history and African Americans.

In the novel Woodson spoke to many races, most definitely Blacks. However his message helped encourage several races to research and learn more on their history, not what others want us to know, so they can control us, our level of thinking, and belittle us about not being able to ever become one of them no matter how smart we are. The novel also makes many think about where they land in social classes and how it affects their education. (going back to desegregated by other factors).

3. Woodson’s message responds to society today. In one part of his book he mentions the “higher educated negro.” In today’s society the “higher educated negro” would be the one that graduated from high school and college. They are able to compete with people of their own and other races, however there is always people of other races (normally Caucasian’s) that believe an African American do not have the common sense, knowledge, or respect to run a business or school like they do (However they won’t mention it verbally) . If you realize what I just said seem similar to the description of the higher educated negro in the novel. That’s because their has been little progress made when it comes to the Caucasian’s point of view and respect for African Americans. When will we officially change this?

4. My response to the issues that occurred and still occurring is we (Blacks) have little to no clue what has become of our race. To me the novel helps people view who they are and how they have added to the negative impact of the situations made in “The Mis-educated Negro”. Also when it comes to education I feel we have been deprived of our own history. Another thing I realized is, that Woodson mentioned an educated black and how they are not accepted by whites or their own people. I believe the more African Americans down one another instead of encouraging them to succeed ,the more people outside our race will do the same or worst. So maybe we should not blame the whites for everything negative that happened in our past to get us to this point today.

• Erik Kyle Mojica

Not only were blacks afraid, but many had not the slightest clue of the educational institution. Dr. Carter G. Woodson had studied and wrote about this issue for years. He was not an average man. He certainly had bravery, but he also the knowledge and wisdom to back it up. This is a skill set which most of our species even neglects.

• Lisette Alvarado

Answer 2: Father of Black History, dedicated and passionate about education he is Carter G. Woodson. Second African American to graduate with a Ph.D from Harvard. He knew the accomplishments of African Americans are big and are to be recognized so Negro History Week he put into action. In 1976 it was then changed to Black History Month. He spoke up about mis-education and states clearly why it is so important for us to get it. Every thing he spoke he did.

Answer 3:His words over miseducation is still relevant today. Not only to one group of people but everyone all around. It targets those from different ethnic backgrounds , social classes. Education may not be the same in all place but the concept is the same to know something beyond the limit ,gaining the knowledge to increase your success.

Answer 4: My response to this issue is simple being the best I can be. Lately, I have been pressured about things in my future ,that scares me sometimes. I have noticed the only reason why they do this is because they see what I didn’t potential. So I go with that , exceed the standards that was set for me and with that I go completely against to mis-education mistreatment. I’ll be my best.

• A.J. White

1. The initial decision was made by the board for two distinctive reasons. One reason was the board wanted the whole matter situated to restore peace among the people, even if that meant ruling in favor of Brown. The other reason why they made the decision was because they knew that they could stretch out the process of desegregating for as long as they wanted. Which i concluded from them wanting to use deliberate speed to desegregate the schools.The process is currently still ongoing. I feel like were still getting the scraps from the bucket and never what we actually deserve. Its to the point where they have confused our minds into to thinking that what they give us is enough. Like as long as were stable were OK but in reality were not OK. We do not have the tools we need to achieve and if we do its the cheapest and most unworthy stuff they could ever give us.

2. Dr. Woodson was a True Visionary. He had personal example of how important it was to be black and have an education. Since his parents were former slaves he felt it was his divine calling to not waste freedom since blacks have not always been free. And that’s basically what he is trying to say in his text don’t be a fool and waste your freedom like they want you too. Its also funny how they will build a jail before they build a school. Its like they laugh in our faces by saying hey were not going to waist money building a school but were just going to build you up these nice 4 walls i know your going to end up seeing for the rest of your life. His message speaks to all races and not just blacks. No one should waist education period.

3.I do believe Woodson’s message is still relevant today because people are still not valuing their education like they should. If you skip class, don’t bring your materials, or not show up to school at all you CLEARLY don’t value your education. Its really sad to see people turn down FREE education, especially blacks. We love the word FREE but we don’t love it when it comes to education except when it comes with FREE Lunch (shaking my head). We will probably do anything as long as we see the word FREE. But when it comes to coming to class and learning something some of us just don’t value it enough and its quite a shame. The worst part is that the one’s that don’t value their education are the main ones that end up in jail. And jail is probably the closes thing today to SLAVERY, just think about it for a second.

4. I plan to receive all school will give me. And then come back and give back to my school. I want to change people opinion about school. I just don’t want to tell them i want to show them what valuing your education really means by showing them how successful i am. Hoping that by literally showing them will help open up there eyes. I want to also teach them their history so they can know really know why they most make the best out of what they got. And to find all these “HIDDEN” secrets in these books; they say they hidden because one thing people love is the learning of a secret.

• kimber11shae

Dot 1 : In my opinion, i have come to find that desegregation was not dealt with “with all deliberate speed.”It just didnt seem a great concern to the peopl, and they just didnt care. The old saying “move with a sense of urgency” was not apparent here. People were so used to the way things were , that when they seen a change coming on, they resented. Thus why, till this day, we are not fully desegregated. Just think, if everybody made the right decision, at the right time, the world would be a different place. Maybe even better.
    Dot 2 : Dr. G. Woodson, now reffered to as the ” Father of Black History” .. was an extraordinary man who did extraordinary things for black people. He too being an educated black man, to a new level ! Times when nobody thought blacks could evolve, he showed that they could. I think the ultimate goal of his text was.. never let someone tell you, you cant, For any reason ! Not because your black, white, purple, blue. Not because you have two toes, one eye, yellow hair, or green shoes. Stand up for what you belive in. I think Woodson spoke to mainly blacks, but also to anybody who had a dream, but didnt believe. I think his message exteneded to everybody, because remember: before anything else comes into play.. were humans first.
    Dot 3 : As i said in my earlier response i believe Dr. Woodsons message related to Anybody. also meant at Any time, Any place, Anything ! So yes, his message is relevant till this year of january. were in 2012, and people still are not sure of themselves. They dont believe they can get a job, becaise they are not the right color. they dont believe they can the the part in the play because somebody does it better. If Woodson was here today, during this day and time, he would be shocked. Shocked that after all this work, Were still letting the “white man” put his foot first.
    Dot 4: I believe as an African American woman in the United States, education is beyond important. WE have no reason to not recieve a good education. there are some countries that do not educate their peopl at all. Yes its going to be hard, yes we will struggle, but does that mean give up ? No. we will overcome, because thats how a change is brought on. You know the old saying “only the strong survive” ? Well were the strong ! We survived ! Now its time to keep that strength, reform, grow, and carry on the legacy. Woodson started it, now its time to carry it out.

• khadeemjt

1. I think some schools were desegregated before others. Some schools were desegregated immediately and some still aren’t desegregated. I don’t think all the schools that are segregated are fully segregated either. Whites and Blacks may be able to attend the same schools but they’re so strict with zoning nowadays, it’s practically impossible to go to a good school if you can’t afford to live in the area.

• Sydney Beatty- Schofield

1. How quickly? How fully? I believe that schools have NOT been or anytime soon will be desegregated. Segregation is the seperation of a race, class, or ethnic group by enforced or voluntary residence in a restricted area. Foe example if we were to go to Southlake Mall you would be about 99% of blacks, rathr if you were to go to the Mall of Georgia yo would see about 5% of blacks. We are not De-segregated yet, we are most definitely de-segregated by class and race.

2. I feel as Dr. Carter G. Woodson is clearly a very intelligent man who is great at presenting his argument. Dr. Woodson is a man with alot gut. His bravery to write this book and our peoples lack of knowledge says alot. Reading I believe the message is that we should educate ourselfs and stop depending on others all the time. I don’t feel this is just for African American race, but he does stress African Americans. I believe it is for everyone. Dr Carter G, Woodson just spoke the truth.

3. Absolutely! Today we are still made to feel as we are ‘less”. I believe there has been very little progress made.

4. In the past I’ve learned to just take in whatever that has been said not taught. I have learned how to become more than just a color.

• Shaun "Torian" Harris

1. “With all deliberate speed” is kinda like “as soon as possible”. It usually implies that the job will done quickly, however, it really means get it done whenever it’s convenient for you. Schools had been segregated for so long that people really saw no rush to change something that has been in establishment for years. So of course schools took a long time to fully segregate.

2. Dr. Carter G. Woodson is the founder of Black History Month and is known as the father of black history. He was born among slaves and realized that the history of his culture was being treated as if it did not matter and he decided to something about it. His message is aimed at anybody who was deemed to be inferior due to their race, gender, age, or social class. He is saying that if you influence somebody to keep thinking that they are worthless, you don’t have to worry about them trying to to better anything better than what they think they are. Its pretty sad that this is true and that this modern day version of mind control is still used.

3. Woodson message is still very relevant to this day. For example in the movie “Good Hair” Chris Rock talks about the what is considered good hair and the hair product industry. One segment of the movie shows commercials of white women flipping and flaunting their hair after the use of a certain hair product. Its commercials like that that tell African American women that their natural hair isn’t worth anything and that they have to stylize their hair to look like a woman not of their race. If a African American woman went to a job interview with a natural afro the interviewer would just throw her resume in the trash because its not considered professional. Black women are now embarrassed of their own hair and they are being told told that that is ok.

4. The best thing I can do is try to get the most out of my education so that I can try to “beat the system”.

• Asia Martin

Bullet One.
    Research shows that the desegregation of schools was not a priority amongst whites. It was clearly done with neither deliberateness nor speed. Handled lightly by whites, the desegregation of schools happened half-heartedly and in a sense, schools are still not desegregated. Although we are free to attend school with other races, we are limited to schools within our district or county. Poverty is rampant in some counties, while others offer a much higher quality of living. Coincidentally, blacks and other minorities tend to abide in these lower income areas, while a majority of whites live in well-kept areas. So, in a sense, schools are still not fully desegregated. There will always be “black schools” and “white schools.” Blacks have been trumped for so long academically due to the effects of slavery, that it is hard for me to say that we, as a people, will ever be able to fully overcome that, especially if the education system remains as bogus as it is today. Ignorance creates poverty, and poverty is what segregates us.

Bullet Two.
    Dr. Woodson was a black man with an opinion and the intelligence to back it up. Dr. Woodson did not view Negro/black history as being a stand-alone discipline but as the missing segment of world history and this is why his message is so important, not only for African Americans, but for all people.

Bullet Three.
    Woodson’s message is still relevant today. Although we now experience segregation through socioeconomic status, in order for there to be change in the world, we have to first make the change within ourselves.

Bullet Four.
    Now that I am no longer ignorant to the biased ways of the education system, it is my job as an African American young woman to go beyond what is given to me. I can no longer rely on my curriculum to give me the skills I need to be successful, because if I do, I will only be one in the number who have just been given enough to get by.

http://blackhistorypages.net/pages/cgwoodson.php

• Doriane Alston

*Bullet One: I don’t think that the desegregation of schools happened quickly at all. And honestly, not fully either considering schools are still segregated only its hidden by the law now. The Brown vs. Board case was the beginning of all of it, and supposedly the end. Only, schools are still segregated to this day, and have been for a good 49 years now. It took much longer than it should have taken for schools to be “desegregated”. It was put off for so long because no one felt it was an issue that needed to be dealt with right then; although it was. No one felt as thought it was mandatory to be noticed, and fixed. But, you honestly know why I think they it took them so long? Because they had to think of their master plan. The plan that has been working for almost 50 years now. A plan to ‘give us what we wanted’ by still keeping us inferior. We are in no way equal and we never have been. And I’m just not talking about African Americans, I’m talking about every minority or lower class than the Caucasians. They took so long because they had to have enough time to figure out a way to hide it. Which, I must say, they have done successfully. The integrated schools, and we were happy because we ‘won’, when in all actuality, we settled. They gave us just enough to shut us up. No one ever challenged the private schools made specifically to keep the wealthy among wealthy. Or the old, beat-up, run down schools put in rural areas. Or the school transportation not put in school districts JUST to keep minorities away. They tricked us. They really did. And they know we won’t find them anymore because now we all feel like we are equal. We know that our parents’ parents’ parents fought for us to be exactly where we are. Only thing is, they fought for us to go further. We just don’t know it…

*Bullet Two: Dr. Carter G. Woodson was a courageous man. He was the man who did what no one else would. He was a scholar, an author, a philosopher, a founder, and a leader. But to me, he was an angel. He was an angel sent here to tell us what we kept ignoring. He was sent here to bring to the light the path we needed to take. He was sent here to educate us. I think that his ultimate and powerful message to us was, there can always be change. Although he talked about segregation and although he talked about the inferiority, I feel as though you could apply his message to anything. And at the end of the day it all boils down to one thing, we need change. And we need to make it. You have to start with yourself, look in the mirror and start with yourself. We have the power to change. Dr. Carter chose to put his powers into words. And his powers will go through us to achieve the change he strives for. If all of us on this blog were to take Woodson’s words and understand them, we could have the potential to be unstoppable. After we understood them, we could take them and put them to action. And then after that, we could educate others. The reason we’re still stuck where we are is because we haven’t realized we need each other. I mean think about it, if all minorities or discriminated got together, don’t tell me we couldn’t rule the world and be the change we all wanted to see. Dr. Carter G. Woodson sends us that message using his belief in the power of words.

*Bullet Three: His message will be relevant until the day we all decide to receive it. There is still discrimination going on to this day. I experience it every day myself. I see it everywhere. All over the media, in my books, in my classrooms, in my town, it’s not going anywhere. And until its done his message will continue to be relevant. You should never get too comfortable where you are. You must always remember that there is a step above where you are. And you must always remember that you should strive to get there. We, as a people, ave gotten down right comfortable. We’re content with where we are and we have forgotten about the next level. This isn’t it for us you guys. Don’t you realize that? It’s really hard for me to write this blog right now becuase I feel like there are a million thoughts going thru my head and I don’t know how to put them into words. WE. HAVE. TO. CHANGE. No one is going to do it for us. We have the power to do it ourselves. What are we waiting on? That night in shining amour? The next Martin Luther King or Rosa Parks? A savior? Look in the mirror. You found him.

*Bullet Four: Knowing about these issues, I realize that I myself cannot sit back and accept them. I know that I have been doing it for a long time; most of the time not even knowing. But now that I know, how can I not want to change something? I have to take what I’ve learned, what I know, what I believe. and use it. I have to go educate another so that maybe one day we will succeed. We will succeed as humans. One day we’re bound to get it right, we have too. But we’ll never get there just sitting around worrying about ourselves. We won’t live to say it, this I know. But how selfish could you be? I can’t even think about the now or what I’ll be able to see myself. If you can sit back and say “Look what I’ve finished. I’m proud”, you’re not done.I have to think about my children and my children’s’ children and what life I want them to live, what life I want them to strive for. We’ve got to get it right someday. We’ve got to. But that will never happen if no one will begin. The change starts here. Right here.

• Angelique Martin-Marietta

#1 In my opinion schools we’re segregated as fast as the white people accepted the fact that African Americans would be attending the same school as their child. I believe the white people didn’t and some people still don’t want their child to attend school with an African American child. Okay yes now in this era you could say that schools have been de-segregated but then again you have to think,“ who still gets the best education ?” From my understanding white people in that time were the superior race or the top dog you can say. If they asked for something or wanted to see a change within their neighborhood , community, state, and even the world then it would have been done with “ all deliberate speed.” Schools also taught that white were more superior than the negros.
    #2 Before this blog I didn’t know who Dr. Carter G Woodson was. Anyways Dr. Woodson started off as a regular black man in 1875 a son of two former slaves. Dr. Woodson came to the conclusion that getting a proper education is the only way to strive and get the most out of his freedom. He was the second African American to obtain a PhD at Harvard University. Mostly in the text Dr. Woodson is mostly talking about The School teacher how society is teaching the African American kids that they are inferior to the white man, so that they can know their role and be of better service to the world, but Dr. Woodson is trying to show the African Americans the white mans point of view, and show them that they can do and better. You don’t have to live by someone’s rules; you can live to be better and actually live to be free and make a difference. This message can be extended to anybody that feels as though this message applies to them. It doesn’t have to stop at a certain race, gender, or socio-economic class.
    #3 Yes I do believe that Dr. Woodson’s message is still relevant today. For example from elementary school up until high school we as students have only been educated about what is given to us with in school issued textbook. As we all have found out what they are teaching us in school their barley hitting the surface there is a lot more information out their that we have to obtain that the white man doesn’t want us to know. If he wanted us to know such things they would have been printed in our textbooks right?
    #4 After learning more of why I have to work harder because I am a African American it just makes me want to have more of a drive and a force behind the things that I accomplish in life. Having a high school education isn’t enough, even having a college degree isn’t enough its more like what I choose to do with that degree that matters.

• Amanda Johnson (mandi)

Bullet 1
    I think that schools are desegregating but at a rate that is unacceptable. All my life I’ve heard the terms “black school, white school, poor school, rich school.” If the schools in this country were truly desegregated, then there shouldn’t be a difference based on race or socioeconomic status. I’ve lived in Clayton County all my life and I noticed the significant change in the population over the years. While I attended elementary school most of my classmates were Caucasian. However, as more and more minorities moved to the county, the Caucasian inhabitants of Clayton County moved away. That is how Clayton County became a “Black County”.

Bullet 2
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson is the founder the Association for the Study of Negro Life and History and the innovator of Black History Week, which didn’t become Black History Month until several decades later. He was nick-named the Father of Black History, probably because of his brilliant essays, prompts, and ideals about the truth of black history; the horrible, violent, and terrible history that some didn’t want African-Americans and the world to find out. I feel that the ultimate message of The Miseducation of the Negro is that education wasn’t given to African-Americans, but they had to fight and survive to earn the same educations as others. This message was not only directed towards African-Americans, but also those who are viewed as “Less Desirable” in the eyes of upper echelons.

Bullet 3
    I believe that Woodson’s message is extremely relevant, even today. For example the fact that a majority of the history that I’ve learned this year, I might have never known had I’d not been in Mrs. Silveri’s class. I’ve learned what a true educator knew I should learn, and not just what the government felt I should learn and know. Another is the fact that many people don’t realize that things in the world are still very much “Separate but Equal.” It’s disguised by price differences and location, and people are so ignorant to this information that they don’t really see a problem.

Bullet 4
    As I read The Miseducation of the Negro I was intrigued and aroused by his ideals of the mistreatment of black students who tried to get an education. I feel that as an African-American student it’s truly a privilege to walk into a school and learn something that my grandparents and ancestors before them didn’t have the slightest chance of learning. I owe it to myself and those who want to see me succeed to try more than my hardest to get an education.

• raheemmack

One
    In my opinion, I feel that the desegregation process is moving very slowly, if at all. When I look back to me days in elementary and even in Pre-k, there were very few white kids in my classes. There were always maybe two or three out of twelve kids. I do believe that desegregation has occurred with schools. However I feel that desegregation has not been push over the year to the point where it does not seem like we have integration within the schools.

Two
    Carter G. Woodson, also known as the “Father of Black History”, was the son of former slaves. He knew how important gaining a proper education is when trying to make the most out of one’s freedom. He earned his high school diploma in West Virginia and obtained his bachelor and master’s degrees from the University of Chicago. He is also the second African American to earn a PhD at Harvard University.
    Woodson’s message to me is to become educated and have knowledge on as much as you can. You shouldn’t let anyone or thing try to take or limit your opportunity to gain knowledge. This is kind of like a universal theme because this can relate to anyone in the world.

Three
    Yes, Carter Woodson’s message is still very much relevant today. There are many factors in society that can hinder or even prevent some individuals from obtaining a desired level of education. Teachers that are only in it for the money can really limit the amount of thing you could possibility be introduced to. Some of these politicians are trying to push ideas that make it hard to get any kind of formal learning. For example, one of these ideas was to make where you had to pay for public school.

Four
    After doing some research I realize that my previous thoughts were correct: that most African Americans get the short end of the education stick. Most of us still have to use older editions of some textbooks. The technology use is five years behind more efficient schools. Like many other things in this country, we as a race need to stand up and remain standing until these issues are resolved once and for all.

• ssilveri

All ORIGINAL comments posted after mine are officially late and will not be accepted.

However, you may continue to post comments to your classmates’ posts for partial credit.

New year, new Mrs. S.

Love ya! :)

• Chez

* From the decision of Brown vs. The Board of ed. supreme court case, We have witnessed states go through every loop hole possible to delay the desegregation of schools it took a long time for the states to come to terms with the supreme court’s decision. The phrase “with all diliberate speed” was all the southern legislators needed to hear to understand that although Brown had won the case the ball was still in thier court. As far as how fully schools have been desegregated is totally up to personal interpretation, because in all actuality anyone can attend any school now. Its all about which parents decide to let their children attend schools with people of different ethnic backgrounds.

* Dr.Carter G. Woodson is known as the father of black history month. His message to the african american did’nt just stop with african americans he wished to reac h all ethnic backgrounds to establish that we all coexist and could not live without the other.

* I do belive that his message is still relevant today. I say this because although some african americans are educated but most are not. and with this being how it is the ones who are “educated” see the ones who are not as inferior and that is where the miseducation comes into play. The african american who is educated thinks that once he or she is educated thats all the fight is over but it is actually supposed to be where once one person is educated they educate another and so on and so forth. His message is that we as a people must educate the one who were’nt as fortuante to have an education rather than look down on them as inferior beings.

* With this new forund knowledge my response to these issuses are simple. Do not judge people because of their education level but take a closer look and see what you can ad that ositively effects a person and their way of thinking. Cause like Dr.Woodson said
    “If you can control a man’s thinking, you don’t have to worry about his actions. If you can determine what a man thinks you do not have worry about what he will do. If you can make a man believe that he is inferior, you don’t have to compel him to seek an inferior status, he will do so without being told and if you can make a man believe that he is justly an outcast, you don’t have to order him to the back door, he will go to the back door on his own and if there is no back door, the very nature of the man will demand that you build one.” If you can change a persons thinking the rest will fall into place from his dress to his actions….

• omari walcott

1. Schools to this day have not been desegregated quickly or fully, the white man feels as if though they will get around to it when they do. Of course in their minds the idea alone is outrageous, but with most still having a mindset of the past has gotten us to where we are today. We may not have riots, marches, and lynches anymore but, the minds of our generations have been corrupted by the hate that was seen obviously. African Americans have become too comfortable with this situation; they don’t want to take control. And somehow I believe their afraid too as well.
    2. Dr. Woodson is a black man who went that extra mile to see that there will be who change. He’s a man that used his knowledge as a weapon. To prove that people of color also had something to bring to the table, besides the next meal for the white man. This message speaks considerably to the black community letting them know that that they can do and be better, and then what is expected.
    3. 3I believe Woodson’s message is still in fact relevant today, not only is it relevant but we haven’t really made any progress. We may no longer be separated by color, but we are certainly judged by our incomes. “The Social Class”. In the higher social livings children are taught to value their education, on the other hand the lower class don’t seem to get the same lesson. It’s unfortunate how the system is rigged so only those of the finer things in life could be successful. But somehow those of the lower class find a loop hole and fight. And if more of us started fighting together, we would finally break the chain that’s been locked onto our minds for hundreds of years.
    4. 4Knowing what I know should only want to make me to want to know more. Work harder and fight. Prove the system wrong. Encourage my peers to do the same. Gain as much knowledge as you possibly can. Knowledge goes beyond the four walls of the classroom. I’ve heard some people say, “Too much of anything is bad for you”. Knowledge, wasn’t a part of that barging. GO LEARN! .

• Diamond

1) I do not believe that the schools were fully segregated in all reality. Yes there were partially desegregated but as a whole they are not really that much different. There are many schools that are still in the same situation only they have named them different things like zone 3, it’s really a bunch of different names and ways to hide what they didn’t change in plain sight. As for desegregating the school with all deliberate speed they took the word deliberate to mean whatever they wanted it to. When you say deliberate speed then there is really no time frame on how slow or fast you can do what your supposed to do, and they took it really slow cause they didn’t have any hurry or really anyone to care about how fast they would desegregate the schools.

2) Dr Woodson is a African American man who believed in the change and knowledge of his people. He is know as the Father Of Black History, he was the son of former slaves but was very intent on learning and educating himself. His highest degree is a PhD from Harvard, he was also the second black person to receive his PhD from said school. Dr Woodson is also the founder of The Study Of Negro Life History. I believe his message was to say that the African American race as sort of fell into a rut were they didn’t really care about there education or really anything and that we have lost sight of the value of education and how much we need it. He wants us to see the importance of education and how much our ancestors fought to have it, he also wanted us to see that our education goes far beyond the school system because it doesn’t really cover what we need to know about our culture. I think that his message was mainly to African Americans but it also is to any other race or person that needs to receive it.

3)Yes, I believe that his message is still very much relevant to today. People still continue to not take advantage of what they need and what is in front of them. So many times at school I have seen people just be disrespectful in class be late and just many things that just show a lack of care for education. Even in Ms Silveri’s class there are people who still don’t take advantage of what she gives us, even I have done it because it is really easy to fall into that way of thinking when everyone around you does it so often. I believe the key is to be able to catch yourself doing it and work at changing that.

4) The way that I respond to these things is that I just know that I have to work and work and work and learn and just be what they said that we couldn’t be. To be able to learn how to learn and to further my education. With the help of the great Ms Silveri and hard work I can beat the odds.

• Diamond

2) Dr Woodson is a African American man who believed in the change and knowledge of African American people. He is know as the Father Of Black History, he was the son of former slaves but was very intent on learning and educating himself. His highest degree is a PhD from Harvard, he was also the second black person to receive his PhD from said school. Dr Woodson is also the founder of The Study Of Negro Life History. I believe his message was to say that the African American race as sort of fell into a rut were they didn’t really care about there education or really anything and that we have lost sight of the value of education and how much we need it. He wants us to see the importance of education and how much our ancestors fought to have it, he also wanted us to see that our education goes far beyond the school system because it doesn’t really cover what we need to know about our culture. I think that his message was mainly to African Americans but it also is to any other race or person that needs to receive it.

3)Yes, I believe that his message is still relevant today. People still continue to not take advantage of what they need and what is in front of them. So many times at school I have seen people just be disrespectful in class be late and just many things that just show a lack of care for education. Even in Ms Silveri’s class there are people who still don’t take advantage of what she gives us, even I have done it because it is really easy to fall into that way of thinking when everyone around you does it so often. I believe the key is to be able to catch yourself doing it and work at changing that.

4) The way that I respond to these things is that I just know that I have to work and learn and just be what they said that we couldn’t be. To be able to learn how to learn and to further my education. With the help of the great Ms Silveri and hard work I can beat the odds.

• Akcire Beasley

Bullet1: As long as people have a negative mind set, segregation is inevitable. If people continue to deprive themselves from integration with other cultures, and group of people we will not be able to end segregation. Letting African Americans have the right to public schooling with other races only opens the door to a multicultural learning environment. It is left up to us to open it and eliminate the prejudice mind set so this will become a reality, and we be foolish not to. I don’t believe it was a matter of speed but time with desegregation. I believe it stop at a point where it was segregated enough for it’s to still be separations between to class/race that it went unseen.

Bullet2: In my opinion Dr C.G.W was an activist. He believed in EQUAL racial values. He helped put it out there that even though you have it hard in life it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t strive for better ( If the white man wants to hold on to it, let him do so; but the Negro, so far as he is able, should develop and carry out a program of his own-Carter G. Woodson). His message is needed anywhere there is similar problems around the world.

Bullet3: YES!!!! It’s very relevant. A long as there are still prejudices people or segregation of any kind this man’s philosophies is needed. People are still blind to the fact that they are still being judged and place due to their class/race. With the Genocides in Africa and recent racial tension in England, there is not a doubt in my mind.

Bullet4: I think people should begin educating themselves on stuff if not already. I learned the hard way that waiting around for super education man was worthless. We lived in a time of limitless information computers that hold them. Even teachers or experts on the subject willing to help you on whatever subject can work too. We all learn something everyday why not take advantage of it?

• Patrick

Bullet 1*
    In my opinion, the process of the de-segregation went by slowly. Mainly because they never actually put a time limit on when things were suppose to change.
    I believe that that whites in power of de-segregation schools tried to hold out as long as they could (staling) to maybe find a way to get around. Of course if
    that was the case then it didn’t work long. Has it fully been de-segregated? In many ways yes, but the segregation you have to look at is social class. If you can
    move one race to to one specific area away from another. Then the segregation is still in affect.
    Bullet 2*
    Dr. Woodson is as intelligent African-American man who believed that knowledge could about justice for many others.
    He wanted us black people to know that the past will change for the better. All we must do is believe that we have the power to stop the war of ignorance.
    That we can finally come to, and live as equal among others KNOWING every last bit of information we were kept from. I believe that was his mission.
    Bullet 3*
    Yes, Woodson’s message is still relevant today.
    Obtaining knowledge these days is sort of hard because of the ignorance we face. Teachers only there to “half-ass” just to get money, and textbooks
    only giving a little bit of the real truth even if that. As black people we are being pulled into a hole of “you need to stay here because if you go out there you’ll be smarter.” =)
    Sadly, this generation is falling in that whole. Mr.Woodson would of wanted us to put differences aside, put the drugs and ignorant petty things down and look at the real picture.
    The fact that we need to buckle down and stay in that game called life, and strive for the position of President or Judge, etc…
    Bullet 4*
    I’m going to be viewed as an ignorant unless I show can the world i’m not. If not; I am statistic. A statistic made for black teens. (males especially)

• Arafat Etuazim

Patrick, I liked how well written your paper was. When you said that the schools were fully desegregated I did not agree. If you look at schools today, you still the ramifications of what happened during the Civil Rights Movement. I also don’t agree when you said that Dr. Woodson was a man that stood for education. I think that in his book he praises the “uneducated” man more than he praises his educated counterpart. However, I do agree when you said that we have yo buckle down in order to survive in the game we call life. I really like how your paper showed the thought process that went into it :)

• Chae Dorris

The Brown decision called for school desegregation to happen with “all deliberate speed.” How quickly — and how fully — do you think schools have been de-segregated?
    Bullet 1
    After doing research I believe that the schools were desegregated slowly. I felt like they tried to slow down the process of desegregation as long as possible hoping it wouldn’t happen. They wanted it to stay the same and they truly didn’t want to integrate anyway. Even when it was established the laws weren’t enforced so it didn’t matter.

Who is Dr. Carter G. Woodson, and what–in your opinion–is the ultimate message of his text? Who does his message speak to? Is it only for African Americans or could his message extend to all ethnic, gender, and socio-economic classes?
    Bullet 2
    Dr. Woodson was an intelligent African-American man who decided to make a difference which resulted in a change. He did what people in other communities were afraid to do. He spoke the truth about the problems that affected the black race and how their education differences compared. I think his main message is to show the lack of other cultural history availability in educational systems. So yes it could apply to other races.

Do you believe Woodson’s message is still relevant today? If so, provide a rationale for your response and examples of how we see it in operation today. If not, please tell us why and provide a rationale for your response.
    Bullet 3
    I do believe Woodson’s message is still relevant today because we are only taught black history during black history month instead of throughout the year. Although African-Americans have made major contributions to America it isn’t spoken of. Other cultures who have done great things are barely spoken of too. There aren’t many courses available on others.

Finally, determine and relate what your response(s) will be to these issues.
    Bullet 4
    After learning about this it makes education more important. Now would be the time for me to step up and learn what I need to know. There won’t be a reason for me not get what I need to have success in the world. Basically its time for me to be the best I can be and put my all into everything I do.

• Chez

oh no Mrs.S I did not see that when i posted….I would never Disrespect you anyway…. I offer my deepest apoligies.

• fatimahi

*It took them a while before the really truly and fully integrated schools, when they said with all deliberate peed there really didn’t mean with all deliberate speed
    *He was know as the “Father of Black History”
    I believe his message is speaking to The uneducated people of color. I believe that it’s only for African America, but it can be applied to other people of color depending on their circumstance.
    *Yes, I believe his message is still relevant till today, even though we don’t go through the stuff our ancestor went through the same way but we still experience the same stuff just in a modernized way.
    *Well I would take my education serious as a African American, they fought for us to be able to be in school so the least I can do is take my education seriously

• Fatima Mustapha

1. Well, I believe that deliberate means to be done one consciously and intentionally or more so to engage in long careful consideration. Desegregation of the public schools took a very long time and is still not completely segregated at this time. I feel that the term was coined purposely to prevent the desegregation of public schools.
    2. Carter G. Woodson is and excellent intellectual and speaks strongly and with poise about the problems our community faces. Dr. Carter G. Woods was known as the Father of Black History. He was the son was former slaves but he took education seriously. He courageously addresses the problem and analyzes a solution. He is a brave man and is fearless in his argument.

3. I believe that Woodson’s message is very relevant today. I see everything he speaks of in society today. He stresses the importance of education and being freed of mental captivity. He discusses how if we do not get and quality education it will snare our advancement for the future.

4. The problem we face with our education situation cannot merely be solved by “changing” what we teach our students but how we teach them and making them more effective and more relevant to their lives. We must educate ourselves on our past and free our minds from metal captivity and analyze problems and solutions to their problems. We must support the community and maintain strong ties to uplift and educate our children’s minds.

• Fatima Mustapha

Patrick your paper was well written. You strongly support your argument.

• D' Andre Jermaine

1) In my Educated opinion schools were never Desegragated at all. Yes children of different ethnicities can legally go to the same school, learn in the same class, and eat at the same lunch table but it’s more to it than that about desegregation. If you look at demographics for any county in America you will see one ethnic population out rules the other wether it be whites, blacks, Hispanics or Asians. Have anyone ever sat and thought why that is? Why in one particular area there’s is a heavy concentration of any particular minority, and in another there is a heavy concentration of whites? Segregation is no longer smacking us in our faces is subliminal, invisible, something can only be discovered through Only by eating vanilla ice cream and sipping Gin while listening to Louis Armstrong.

2) First and foremost Dr. Carter is the creator Black history week, however years after his creation of Black history week it expanded to take over the entire month of February. Dr. Carter is an individual who knew the importance of education to succeede in our society. Therefore he became the second African American to recieve a Phd from Harvard university. Dr. Carter is an African American who know the importance of preserving the rich history of the black culture. He is the founder of the Study of Negro Life History. Dr. Carter is you, Dr. Carter is me.

3) Yes I very much believe that Woodsons message is alive today! The African American community have fallen victim to the miseducation. There are quite few of us who think in a “servitude” mindset and until they get a”proper” education they will never be free of that. By proper education don’t mean the text books that put chains on our intellect or teachers who keep us in oppression. We need the truth! God did not just give us intellect, He did not make us smart just for smart sake. He need us to go out and accomplish his will with the Truth!

4) the answer to our problem is VERY simple. We’ve been told since we were children that education is the key to success. However when we near adulthood they Educate us inadequately. The solution to the problem is to replace the people in power. We need people who actually care about our future, we need people in power who treat us as if we are going to be the future leaders of this world.

• Kristoffer Caine

The desegregation of schools never officially happened, it was given to people with a false sense of freedom.What is often over looked is the Mental blocks that have to be overcome for us to truly desegregate. There are also other factors that contribute to this like the change in prices for goods or homes and increased living cost for people who live in certain areas to move to others to have tax breaks which in turn create densely populated areas of minorities. How can we have desegregation without equality in living conditions where minority’s are economically cut of from others.

Dr. Carter G Woodson was the man known as the Father of Black History. He recorded the history of Black Americans as well as their great achievements and important achievements that affected Blacks as a Whole. In His text the Miss-education of the Negro he spoke to the reader and in extension to the world about how misled the Negro has been. In Specific i think it targets all colored people as a sort of call to action. Once you have the knowledge it is your responsibility to do something about it.

I think the Ideals that Woodson put forth are indeed still needed today. As much as colored people would argue against this.Many of the feel uncomfortable around wealthier white people whom for one reason or another happen to be in their presence. The mentality of inferiority is still present.

This make me want to put forth my best effort more than ever. The thought of inferiority doesn’t enter my mind when i compare myself to others who are instinctively seen as superior due to their skin color. I am making it my personal goal to not live under an Enslaved mentality.