In Session: Sentiments from Silveri's Class

Engaging in Critical Conversations that Matter Most

Week 9 (Fall 2011): The End of Poverty?

Greetings, My AP Babies!

This week’s discussion centers around our exploration of Ruby Payne’s framework for working with children and adults from generational poverty.  This is not my original document, so please excuse any typo-s and/or misspellings.  :)

Please be advised that our responsibility as scholars is to examine ALL of the resources and come to our own logical, intelligent conclusions.  To this end, I’d like for your understanding of Payne’s framework to go a step further.  Consider the implications of the framework and how it creates a hierarchy of classes–where wealth is portrayed as the ultimate goal in society…

Now, consider what you discovered during our viewing of Philippe Diaz’s award winning documentary The End of Poverty?  Full of commentary from expert economists, including several Nobel Prize winners, this film bears witness to the fact “Global poverty did not just happen. It began with military conquest, slavery and colonization that resulted in the seizure of land, minerals and forced labor.  Today, the problem persists because of unfair debt, trade and tax policies — in other words, wealthy countries taking advantage of poor, developing countries.” (http://www.theendofpoverty.com/synopsis.html)

Download

Throughout our continued viewing, I will be posting comments from our classroom message board and invite you to continue your discussion here, but here are your tasks for this week:

1. Read and annotate Dr. Paul Gorski’s (Founder of EdChange) critique of Ruby Payne’s framework.  Entitled “Savage Unrealities:  Uncovering Classism in Ruby Payne’s Framework,” this text challenges us to think beyond the realities of understanding the poverty mentality in order to consider the root causes of the poverty that cause the mentality.
  2. Analyze Dr. Gorski’s argument using UC Berkeley’s “10-Step Process for Analyzing an Argument.”  Be sure to ground your analysis in specific examples from Dr. Gorski’s text.  (Need citation help?  Check out Purdue University’s Online Writing Lab for help…)
  3. Research Additional resources pertaining to world poverty and its eradication by visiting the The End of Poverty? website.  (I encourage those of you who disagree with the ideas posited in the film to provide your classmates with additional resources that might help explain your argument and enrich their understandings of this global dilemma.)
  4. Post a minimum of three links to websites that provide additional information on global poverty and what’s being done to resolve it. These links might include information on US nonprofits and/or international NGOs (non-governmental organizations).
  5. Provide any additional questions you were left with after viewing this film and conducting your own research on the effects of global poverty?
Need to watch the film again?  Watch it from home on Hulu:  http://www.hulu.com/watch/151119/the-end-of-poverty.

That’s it for now.  However, please note that your responses this week should be exceptionally well crafted because you’ll have additional time away from class to create them… Therefore, please be certain to consider whether or not your syntax, diction, and spelling are academically acceptable.  Practice for the promise…  See Kent University’s Online Etiquette tips for additional assistance.

Your original post is due by 10:00pm on Wednesday, October 12thYour response to at least two of your classmates’ posts is due by 10:00pm on Sunday, October 16th.

As always, I am here should you need me.

Happy Blogging!!!

Love,

Mrs. S

109 Comments

109 Comments so far ↓

• Sydney Beatty- Schofield

Taylor I completely agree with you on the mentality of stereotypes, and the knowledge of stereotypes.

• Stratiesha Mahone

The first word that comes to my mind about poverty, would be poor. But actually ,i would say after learning in class it could also be a state of mind. Even someone that lives day to day,or im going to do this just to get by. Not someone who actually gets the money and keep it. I would say i live in poverty and i am a part of it.. no doubt. But I also strive to do things,so i can reach ground and not continue to dig a deeper hole. People at my school live in poverty, but of course its blind to the eye. They think just because they go to this school and live here, or dress a certain way, Make them all the better. But in reality, they can have the same mind as a crackhead that just want to make this quick money for a dime.

2.From what i read his argument is basically that we have all the knowledge,resources and solutions to fix poverty but we do nothing about it. I feel like they do not want to solve it, but they cant also. simply because their blind. they have the knowledge but they don’t have the knowledge to put things together.

Bank, World. “2011 World Hunger and Poverty Facts and Statistics.” World Hunger Fact Sheet. Worldbank.com. Web. http://www.worldhunger.org/articles/Learn/world%20hunger%20facts%202002.htm
    This website shows you statistics of poverty in 2010 and where.

“Solutions to World Poverty.” World Poverty. Web. 12 Oct. 2011. .
    http://world-poverty.org/solutionstopoverty.aspx — This website goes in detail about the poor and rich country’s and the different priorities.

5.Why are we so ignorant that buying the latest jordans is better, than helping someone that actually needs the 260 that you just spent? Even tho we have everything that we”need”. But what they need,has become what they want, because they can not get it.

• Doriane Alston

1. After annotating Dr. Groski’s work it made me realize that maybe Payne’s work was a bit…biased you could say. I feel like Dr. Groski was basically saying that Payne was looking at the topic on a surface level; from her own point of view. She was looking from the stand point of the situation that she is in instead of trying to understand the situations of others or see where they were coming from. I feel like he didn’t feel like Payne dug deep enough. She was just on the surface. And the be honest, Dr. Groski’s critique made me look at my view of it differently. It also made me realize that maybe I was looking on the surface a little bit. That maybe I was a bit ungrateful and didn’t take the look at it from another perspective. I do feel as though I don’t dig deep enough sometimes and I don’t really take the time out to look at it from the stand-point of actually being in poverty. I was only thinking from the point of just viewing it, much like Payne.
    2.Dr. Groski’s argument was very informative for me. It was very eye-opening. It helped me to look at both perspectives of the argument. I had to look from the authors perspective as well as my own. The ting that stood out to me the most was the question that he continually asked, “where is the research behind the explanation?” And I mean honestly, where is it? Where is the proof or the stats that stand behind this explanation? …
    3. I do agree with the documentary. I think that poverty could be fixed if everyone would get out of their own world for a minute. I don’t disagree at all. The problem is, we are too selfish. Everyone. Even those writing these articles and books and documentaries, how many of them do you think actually went out and tried to do something? I know that one person can do it all, but one person has to start it. It has to begin somewhere. Just like all of us, right now. We are all posting on this blog, reading and reviewing these articles. But not one of us is writing this planning on how we’re going to change something. We may be thinking about it, but how many of us are going to put these thoughts into actions and be the one to make that change. And I feel as though the problem is we don’t understand. We don’t understand that all the change starts with us. We are the change. We are.
    4. http://www.globalissues.org/article/26/poverty-facts-and-stats
    http://www.theendofpoverty.com/
    http://www.cliffsnotes.com/study_guide/Causes-and-Effects-of-Poverty.topicArticleId-26957,articleId-26882.html
    5. Is it me?
    Am I the one who’s supposed to start the change?
    Should that be my dream instead of the selfish one I have?
    If I were to start, who would follow me? Would I succeed?
    Am I afraid? And why?

• Laura Augustave

According to Paul Gorski, Payne’s framework is inaccurate and based off of racist, classiest, and stereotypical views. Payne doesn’t elaborate on the true causes of poverty, just the end result. The premises are not too farfetched when you read deeper between the lines of the framework. When reading the framework and noticing the comparisons to the actions, emotions and attitudes, it was almost too similar to the actions and emotions that I see on an everyday basis living in generational poverty. I have seen poverty and its effects in action. I have seen poverty’s enforcers. I have seen that no matter how much understanding, objection, distaste, how many hidden rules are followed, and how many books and documentaries are written and filmed, the people in power are still in power. The people in power want to stay in power and the common people have no idea of the terror that really causes it. What makes it worse is that once you are wealthy or powerful enough to make a change, you are either bribed to the powerful side or assassinated. I have no disagreements with the research. I think that Poverty can be solved if people would stop being selfish and greedy. It is a world-wide problem that has to be prevented from growing and spreading. It is up to us to change that. the decision in helping someone else is the hardest decision that we as human beings have to make. The facts that were provided by Dr. Gorski’s were relevant and helpful for me to fully understand his argument. I feel that Dr. Gorski’s does use emotion and specific wording to appeal to the readers emotions and mentality. I feel that my agreement with Dr. Gorski’s argument is a solid one.

• Laura Augustave

Here are some links that I researched for my essay…… http://www.globalissues.org/article/26/poverty-facts-and-stats

• Ladii Tink

1) Ruby Payne’s framework was based only on her “middle-classed” mindset on how poverty should be viewed in her perspective, but not on the poverty’s perspective. She may have addressed poverty in her writings, but most of them are racist and stereotypical to readers and do not have solutions of how to resolve these disputes, but to try to blemish them. Poverty is not a place of poorness, but a mindset of poor quality. When you stay in a place with poor surroundings and views, you tend to think of survival or striving to be better, but when you are surrounded by good quality environments you tend to think “life is good”. Education has a strong correlation in poverty. If your quality of education is not perceived in a fair manner as the “wealthy” or “middle-classed”, then your education from a “generational poverty” level is useless and I highly believe so. Dr. Paul Gorski’s critique definitely opened a new door in my perception. When we read part of Ruby Payne’s Framework in class, I remember thinking, “She is so right”, and “I can see why others act that way.” After reading Gorski’s analysis, my thoughts did an ultimate one sixty. Then it was, “Am I thinking stereotypically,” and “Did she really mean that?” I believe that Gorski disagreed with Payne’s framework and gathered a boatload of research that supported his opinion. This made his argument pretty convincing. In her analysis, she made some good points, but I don’t think she really understand what it means to go through generational poverty and try to survive. Her way of thinking is very stereotypical and in some situations racist. Though most people don’t have access to the education and lifestyle of the middle and upper class, I also think that it depends on how that person was raised and how that person thinks. We don’t have a solution to end poverty but it is our duty to educate those who are not aware of this information. Instead of us going after a person that has no access to this information, we should discover why they are in these situations? What can we do to change this? and How did we as a people let it get this far?. I think that Gorski goes into a deeper meaning of poverty, connects education with what class a particular family might be involved in. (Like we did at school) Dr. Gorski’s critique also makes some major key points in the characteristics of someone who faces poverty. His “critique” opens the eyes of the ignorant without saying so. I would have understood his point perfectly with or without reading the title.
    2)Dr. Gorski’s critique made me realize that not everything we read is completely accurate or defined. There is always something behind the truth. The critical quote he opposed in Payne’s framework stated that “Poverty is caused by interrelated factors: parental employment status and earnings, family structure, and parental education” (2001, p. 12). He opposed this quote by stating “But parental employment status and parental education do not cause poverty. Instead, they reflect the impact of poverty” (Rank, 2004) ( Paul D. Gorski’s, 2005). This really captivated my attention and made me really think about it on a whole other level. Dr. Gorski’s critique was an excellence model of how a critique should be done because he was able to justify his disagreements with facts and evidence that toke the controversial issues of poverty to a higher level.
    3)http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/19/opinion/zelizer-war-on-poverty/index.html
    http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/001855.html
    http://www.defeatpoverty.com/